In honor of everyone’s favorite Monday in May where we get to celebrate with food and family, this week’s Monday Munchies is all about remembrance. Memorial Day is the American holiday that was initially designed to honor those who’ve lost their lives fighting for our country, but today it means so much more.
With the traditional backyard BBQs and laps around the swimming pool, Memorial Day is the quintessential kick-off to summer–and undeniable permission for you to wear white again after Labor Day. Although we’re still sequestered to our homes for the unforeseeable future, we can still honor the holiday from indoors–bonus points if you have a pool.
One thing all holidays have in common is the presence of delicious food, and Memorial Day is no exception. The unofficial cuisine of the last Monday in May is all things grilled, but for quarantine purposes, this recipe is more stove-top friendly. While you may be without a grill during these trying times, you can still have the classically American burger of your dreams–with a side of fries, duh.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 tbsp of butter (or cooking oil of your choice)
- Olive oil
- Patty of your choice (beef, turkey, veggie, etc.)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Hamburger buns
- Sliced cheese (or vegan cheese)
- Burger toppings of your choice: tomato, lettuce, sliced onions, ketchup, mustard, pickles, relish, BBQ sauce, etc.
- Sweet potato (or regular potato) cut into wedges
How to Make It:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (for sweet potato fries). Mix sweet potato with olive oil, salt, pepper, and spices of your choice (like garam masala, cumin, cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes).
- Place fries onto a baking sheet and put in the oven, cooking for 15 minutes.
- Then remove from the oven, turn the fries over and place back into the oven for another 10-15 minutes. Place on the stovetop to cool until burgers are done.
- While the fries are doing their thing, heat the butter or cooking oil of your choice in a medium/large pan over medium heat.
- Wait a few minutes until the pan is properly heated–then, add your patty/patties to the pan, leaving a bit of space between each patty if more than one. The patties should sizzle with contact. Season with salt and pepper while they cook.
- Cook the patties for about 3-5 minutes before flipping over. If you’re using cheese or vegan cheese, add a slice to the patty as soon as it’s been flipped. Season the new side with salt and pepper and continue to cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat up your buns (I recommend toasting for the full restaurant effect). Once they’re good to go, throw the patties on top and assemble with your toppings of choice.
Combine your savory meal with an icy bottle of Lagunitas Hi-Fi Hops IPA–a hazy and refreshing delight, and Voila–your Memorial Day plans are set.
This IPA-inspired sparkling beverage is made using everything Lagunitas knows about hops—but with zero alcohol, zero calories, and zero carbs. That means you won’t be hungover for work after the long weekend!
Tired of making every meal at home–to the point where you can’t even look at your stove anymore? Here are some great places that can deliver your burger to you, whether you’re in San Diego, San Francisco, or LA.
Licenses: 1. Lagunitas/Absolute Xtracts CDPH-10002270